In 2013 Baskin-Robbins did a study to discover what a person’s favorite ice cream flavor says about them. Baskin-Robbins partnered with Dr. Alan Hirsch, a nationally recognized smell and taste expert and founder of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, to identify what some of the most popular ice cream flavors suggest about someone’s personality.
The findings uncovered some interesting insights into ice cream fans’ unique characteristics based on their favorite Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavor.
“We uncovered quite a few surprising findings when investigating what a person’s favorite ice cream flavor says about their personality,” said Dr. Hirsch. “For instance, we found that people who prefer Rainbow Sherbet are more pessimistic than you would think, in spite of the flavor’s bright taste profile, and that those who prefer Rocky Road are actually very good listeners.”
Apparently vanilla-lovers are anything but boring, and chocolate-chippers are generous and proficient go-getters. It’s crazy how much your favorite ice cream says about you! Check out the findings and see if the study is right about you!
Here are some of the results:
- Vanilla — more likely to be impulsive, easily suggestible and an idealist.
- Chocolate — more likely to be dramatic, lively, charming, flirtatious, seductive and gullible.
- Very Berry Strawberry — more likely to be a tolerant, devoted and an introvert.
- Mint Chocolate Chip — more likely to be argumentative, frugal and cautious.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough You’re more likely to be ambitious, competitive and a visionary.
- Pralines ‘n Cream — more likely to be loving, supportive and prefer to avoid the spotlight.
- Jamoca (i.e. coffee) — more likely to be scrupulous, conscientious and a moral perfectionist.
- Chocolate Chip — more likely to be generous, competent and a go getter.
- Rainbow Sherbet — more likely to be analytic, decisive and a pessimistic.
- Rocky Road — more likely to be aggressive, engaging and a good listener.
An article in Reader’s Digest delves a little deeper, “Vanilla is one of the simplest of ice cream flavors, but its fans are actually likely to be colorful, impulsive, idealistic risk-takers who “rely more on intuition than logic,” according to studies conducted by neurologist Dr. Alan Hirsch, founder of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation. Vanilla lovers were also emotionally expressive and successful in close relationships. As for the research: Hirsch uses various standardized psychiatric test results to make statistical correlations, explaining that the same part of the brain (the limbic lobe) is responsible for both personality traits and food preference. Interestingly, Hirsch says the taste for your favorite ice cream is set during childhood and tends to remain consistent throughout your life.”
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’m obsessed with ice cream. In my family, we grew up with a small bowl of ice cream before bed each night. I believe in small rewards and the idea that a scoop of ice cream makes everything better!
My favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip — Yum! What does your favorite ice cream say about you? Share with us on Facebook and tag a friend!